How to cure shin splits! :)
A lot of you runners ask fellow fitblrs what to do about shin splints. One of the best things you can do for them is prevent them! Here are a few exercises to help strengthen your shins to prevent those aches and pains we all hate.
- Walk on your heels—This is pretty self explanatory. Walk the length of a room back and forth flexing your foot.
- Towel or T-shirt grab—I like doing this with a towel, but I didn’t have one handy. So I used my T-shirt. This also works while walking in sand, so try it at the beach!
- Resistance band pull to the side/front—Do ten on one side, ten on the other, ten to the front and repeat for a total of 3+ sets.
- Foot tap—Tap your feet while sitting down in a chair. This one you can do while at work, school, or even sitting in front of the TV! Make sure to tap them really fast. It gets tiring; you’ll see! Just do them for 30 seconds, break for 30 seconds, then repeat for 3+ sets.
- ICE ICE ICE—Ice after all your workouts. Ice after all these exercises too. Always ice. Make ice your best friend. You can sit with ice on your shins as shown, or you can saran wrap bags of ice to your shins so you can still walk around! Or you can freeze dixie cups full of water and rub the ice on your shins that way. Whatever works for you!